Monday, January 18, 2016

Villanelle

I said “I'll try to write a villanelle.
The work's been slow. I wish I'd not begun.
Having written's joy, but writing's hell.

I barely can remember how to spell
these words. I thought I was John Donne;
I said “I'll try to write a villanelle”

I'm terrible at this, I feel unwell.
My tercets are unraveling one by one.
Having written's joy, but writing's hell

Perhaps I could quit now, and never tell.
I never did announce to anyone,
I said “I'll try to write a villanelle,

I hear, I think, a distant tolling bell:
is it for me? I wish I had a gun...
Having written's joy but writing's hell

I may let out a strangled desperate yell
If ever I can get this damn thing done.
I said “I'll try to write a villanelle.”
Having written's joy, but writing's hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment